Randolph Township Fire
Department
Ironia Fire Company #4

Carbon Monoxide

The Silent Killer

Every year more than 22.000 people are exposed to carbon monoxide gas. This silent but deadly, colorless, odorless, tastless gas claims numerous lives annually.

WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?

The most widely recognized soure of carbon monoxide comes from the family autombiles. Carbon monoxide is also produced during the burning of fuel, including woo, coal or naturalgas. Exposure occurs when faulty appliances or automobiles produce fatal concentrations of carbon monoxide.

HOW DOES IT AFFECT US ?

Dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide deprive the body of oxygen. Symptoms from low level exposure include:

  • Headaches
  • Sleepiness
  • Confusion
  • Fatigue
  • Irritability

Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide over a longer period of time can result in:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Irregular heart beat
  • Death

HOW DO I PROTECT MYSELF AND MY FAMILY?

The best way to protect yourself and your family is by installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Follow manufacturer instructions for installation and make sure the detector meets standards IAS 696 or UL 2034. Other ways to prevent exposure include properly maintaining :

  • Household appliances
  • Heating systems
  • Automobile exhuast systems
  • Never leave your car running in the garage
  • Never service appliances without proper knowledge
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating


THE NEW JERSEY POISON INFORMATION AND EDUCATION SYSTEM

To reach NJPIES hotline call: 1-800-poison-1

( 1-800-764-7661 )